How to Maintain Your Ventless Fireplace
So you’ve bought your ventless fireplace and it is installed and ready to heat your home. But how do you make sure your new fireplace stays efficient and clean for years to come? What’s the best way to maintain it and is it safe to dismantle and do some repairs or maintenance yourself? We’ve put together a great how to guide to help you maintain your ventless fireplace.
What will I need?
Some basic cleaning equipment is needed but all of it is inexpensive and easy to find. Just get a torch, pipe cleaners, a can of compressed air and have your vacuum to hand (a hand held style vacuum is easier but if you have an attachment for your regular cleaner that will also work fine).
How often do I need to clean my ventless fireplace?
Every fireplace needs regular cleaning and maintenance. While a regular, log burning fire requires daily attention, a ventless model doesn’t need quite as much cleaning.
You should aim to give your fireplace a quick clean once a week and try to give it a thorough maintenance and repair check every three months.
If you don’t maintain your ventless fireplace, you could find it will stop working properly or even become clogged, hazardous and even start to smell.
How do I clean it?
- Firstly, make sure the whole unit is turned off and the pilot light is out. If it has been in use, allow it to cool right down until it is cold to the touch. Even if the outside seems cold, the internal parts may still be hot so to be safe make sure it is left for half an hour.
- Remove the logs and take out the embers. Inspect everything in your ventless fireplace visually for any dirt.
- Check the air inlet holes. These allow oxygen to mix with the gas and give you an efficient and clean burning fireplace. These holes, as they draw in air, can become clogged with dust, dirt particles and even lint. They should be cleaned every three months or if you live in a dusty environment check them every 8 to ten weeks.
- Burner tube needs to be kept dirt free. This is where the can of compressed air comes in handy. Using the thin nozzle attachment, you can make sure to blow any dust particles from the burner tube without having to fully dismantle your fireplace.
- A yellow tip on your pilot flame means your flame is dirty. When the pilot flame is off, use the can of compressed air to clean off any dust or dirt that might have collected there.
- Finally, vacuum around the base of your fire to pick up pet hair or dust. Look for soot build up on the logs and if there are dark patches then it might mean they have been put in the wrong place or are not fitting together properly.
- Candace Osmond
- Tags: burners ethanol ethanol fireplace fireplace gel fireplace ventless
Choosing the Best Table Top Fireplace
Whether indoors or out, a tabletop fireplace is something which can truly impress guests. If your goal isn’t to impress, it can also simply serve as a relaxing piece of art; something you can sit and enjoy at the end of the day with a glass of wine and a good book. You might have limited wall space or prefer the flexibility to move your feature fireplace around your home.
There are any number of excellent reasons to consider a tabletop fireplace. With the ease in which they can be set up, and the many different styles they come in, there isn’t much reason to not think about adding one to your home or office.
Here are a few different options you might want to mull over.
Chatsworth Tabletop Gel Fuel Fireplace
The Chatsworth Tabletop Gel Fuel Fireplace sits on your table like a work of art. Looking like a large flower from a metal jungle, the fireplace comes to life when lit. With its aluminum body, the fireplace won’t suffer from any rusting, pitting or corrosion, even if left outside. The fireplace uses gel fuel canisters as its fuel source, which burn cleanly and need no ventilation. Since it comes in both gold and silver, choosing the right version for your decor shouldn’t be a major issue. Get more information about this piece here.
Heathcote Tabletop Gel Fuel Fireplace
The Heathcote Tabletop Gel Fuel Fireplace has flower petals that turn up, as though they are drawn to the central flame. This tabletop fireplace uses a gel fuel which burns clean, keeping you and your family safe from the gasses and soot which come from other fuel sources. It also features an aluminum body, allowing it to be used indoors and out. At 14 inches in width and depth, this piece will fit on a coffee or end table without taking up too much room. For more on this piece, click here.
Mika Bio Ethanol Tabletop Fireplace
Like something out of a fantasy or science fiction movie, the Mika Bio Ethanol Tabletop Fireplace is sure to bring some elegance and mystery to your home. In a shadowy black or vivid white ceramic, this tabletop fireplace will match a modern decor with class and style. This fireplace is an eco-friendly option that uses bio ethanol to burn. With its small size and only weighing in at five pounds, the Mika Bio Ethanol Tabletop Fireplace is perfect to use for an extra special candlelit dinner or drinks with guests. Learn more here.
Nu-Flame Doppio Rouge Tabletop Fireplace
If you want to make a statement, go red. The Nu-Flame Doppio Rouge Tabletop Fireplace does that, and it does it well. With a 10-inch diameter, this attention-grabbing fireplace can fit pretty much anywhere. At 14 pounds, it’s not too heavy to move on a regular basis, just make sure to do it while it’s cool! If the Nu-Flame Doppio Rouge Tabletop Fireplace has you seeing red, click here to learn more about it.
Lexington Table Top Indoor/Outdoor Biofuel Fireplace
When it comes to finding the right piece for your home, options are important. Not only is the Lexington Table Top Indoor/Outdoor Biofuel Fireplace incredibly striking, it comes in five different colors sure to match whatever you’ve got going on in your home or office. With its long, pointed oval shape and tall glass panels, it has a modern feel to it. It’s a little on the wide side, coming in at 20 inches, but at only eight inches deep, it won’t take up a whole lot of table space. If options are your thing, see them all here.
Bio-Blaze Kaslik Freestanding Fireplace - Small
With the Bio-Blaze Kaslik Freestanding Fireplace, you know what you’re getting: a warm flame, flickering for your delight. This fireplace features a highly modern, sophisticated design, yet it remains playful, not taking itself too seriously. Composed of high quality stainless steel, this fireplace is made to last. It burns eco-friendly bio ethanol, which is odorless and leaves no ash or other residue. And, best of all, it has an adjustable flame, allowing you to set the mood exactly as you see fit. This piece comes in black, white, red and taupe. If cubism is something you’re into, or if you just like the way it looks, check out more here.
Sit back and relax
A flickering flame provides the perfect ambience for a dinner party or family get together. People have been using candles for years to create a peaceful feel but you can get the same effect from a tabletop fire.
A great conversation starter, it will also keep your guests warm if you choose to sit outdoors to eat.
No mess or fuss
Have you ever tried to clear an outdoor table and realised wax has been spilled all over it? Or have you found soot stains on a tablecloth? With a tabletop fireplace you don’t have any of the smoke, ash, melted wax or soot to deal with.
If you choose a model which uses bioethanol fuel, it gives off less carbon dioxide than three candles so it is also eco-friendly.
As they are built to be self contained, you can move a tabletop fireplace to anywhere you want. If you decide you want to move the party indoors, just carry your unit with you and enjoy it inside.
Peace of mind
You might think having a fire on the table is a safety hazard but tabletop fireplaces are designed specifically with safety in mind. Most models surround the flame with specially treated glass to make sure it is a pretty feature while also being safe for small children and pets.
A design to suit every home
There are hundreds of designs when it comes to tabletop fireplaces. Ranging from tiny designs which only measure 8cm high to larger models which can run the whole length of your table.
If you want to create a seamless look, you can buy a tabletop insert. These models allow you to cut a hole into your table and sink the fireplace into it. It has been designed to create a focal point while still giving a classy feel to the table.
Glass screens around the flame mean you don’t have to worry about things falling into the flames and protects the fire from the wind.
So next time you think about hosting a dinner party and want something to get your guests talking, think about installing a tabletop fireplace. You’re sure to make your party a success and be the envy of your neighbors!
The Perfect Fireplace Solution to Your New Home Remodel
A new season has come and it's about time for a home overhaul. After all, nothing creates a crisp, fresh feeling than a sight of a remodeled interior, with a whole new paint job and rearranged furniture. It gives you the motivation to fill your spaces with new memories, right after you take away the clutter of the past season. There are things which you want to keep and things you want to dispose of, especially the bulky objects in your room. Just like that fireplace.
Perhaps a fireplace switch is probably what your home needs; you're looking to replace your regular hearth with something modern and easier to maintain. Or maybe you want to finally install a heating support without the efforts of breaking your interior's aesthetics. If this is the case, before jumping into any purchase, ask yourself these questions:
- How do you intend to use your fireplace? Do you want real flames, or a unit that gives off the same feeling without stocking on extra fuel? Maybe you want your fireplace to be a supplemental heat source. Or maybe, you need it to act as an ambient feature, adding to the cosmetic features of your home.
- Are you willing to do it yourself? Some fireplace units, like an ethanol ventless fireplace, is already prepped up for consumer use. You can easily install freestanding furnaces on areas of your home where you want to decorate it with. Or maybe, if you're looking for an architectural challenge, perhaps you want to use an ethanol burner to use on empty hearts or inserts? Our ventless ethanol range offers many possibilities for you to enjoy these new features.
- How much are you willing to pay? Ethanol fireplaces are inexpensive to purchase; the question now, is the frequency of its use. You need to have an idea of your regular burning time and the cost of fuel per refill. Make sure that you buy products from legitimate manufacturers, as low-quality fuel might ruin your unit.
- How big is your room? It is good to remember that ethanol fireplaces produce real flames, and these flames consumes oxygen. Thus, you need to make sure that the burner's size is the correct measure for the space you intend it for. A large burner has a bigger fire output and requires a bigger amount of oxygen; you wouldn't want to place that in a small room.
- Should you go manual or automatic? Most ethanol fireplaces are manually lit; you need a long match or a lighter to create a spark in the burner. But there are automated burners which makes use of a push button ignition that can be controlled remotely. Consider this if you want a convenient fireplace option.
Having a modern fireplace indeed creates an extravagant feature in your home. It functions as a heating support, and as a visual, ambience-creating feature. Thanks to its ventless property, an ethanol fireplace, complete with its real flames, can easily replace your traditional furnace and upgrade the look of your home into a chic, urban space you long for.
- Caris Cruz
- Tags: ethanol fireplace ventless
7 Must Have Accessories for Ethanol Fireplaces
Ventless fireplaces are all the rage lately. They’re odorless, mess free, safer than conventional wood burning ones, and produce zero emissions. So why wouldn’t you have one, right? With those stats you could have one in every room of the house. But everything comes with accessories, and no ethanol fireplace is complete without these 7 key items.
You could buy a fancy ethanol fireplace or you could just opt for the burner insert and get this sleek holder to go with it. By doing so, you can place the fireplace just about anywhere.
2) Ceramic Logs
These ceramic logs are the coolest thing since sliced bread. With these, you can give your ventless fireplace a more realistic look and feel. They don’t melt and are easily cleaned with soap and water.
If ceramic logs aren’t your thing, then check out these decorative fireplace stones. Can be used in ethanol or gel fireplaces and totally dress up your ventless fireplace.
If you don’t want to clutter up your tabletops or patio with a fireplace burner, then consider getting it its own stand. This bad boy can be used indoor or outdoors and gives your fireplace a spot to be displayed without the worry of knocking it over.
This item is definitely a must have. You can exactly use your ethanol fireplace without the fuel that sets it off. Totally safe, clean burning, and emission free, stock up and enjoy your real flame fireplace for years to come.
Never worry about looking for matches or a conventional lighter. And definitely never worry about burning yourself. This long, slender ethanol fireplace lighter is the perfect accessory to help you out with that.
7) Fire Glass
Not to be confused with fireplace stones. Stones are merely for decorative purposes only. These gorgeous fire glass pieces actually help your fire burn and burn beautifully. Fire proof, does not melt, no sharp edges, and gives your ventless fireplace a cool, sleek look.
- Candace Osmond
- Tags: burners ethanol ethanol fireplace fireplace gel fireplace ventless
The Many Benefits of an Electric Fireplace
Every homeowner looks forward to the moments when they can stretch out their legs and relax in the comfort of their home. Of course, one way to add a bit of cozy into the room is by installing a fireplace. Today's trends slide away from the traditional furnace, making the best use of technology the current world has to offer. And since most appliances run on electricity, why not a fireplace? An electric fireplace, despite not having the images and cackles of the wooden logs burning on a stove, can produce enough heat to keep you warm inside your beloved nest.
An electric fireplace offers many benefits; you'd be surprised to know how this could actually fit your needs and wants.
- It doesn't produce any fumes. Instead of throwing logs and keeping the embers alive, your electric fireplace is powered by a cord which you can easily plug into your common wall outlet. No more storing of coals and firewood. You just turn it on, and your fireplace will create that tempered heat, just the way you want it. Some feature lights and imagery that showcases realistic flames atop sculpted burning logs.
- It requires low maintenance. As opposed to a traditional fireplace, an electric fireplace does not demand much of your time. When you burn wood with fire on a traditional furnace, fumes and ash are created, along with the unwanted smoke that requires a vent in the house. You will need a chimney, and a regular cleaning session to keep the debris off your beloved carpets and furniture. All these efforts are not needed when you choose an electric fireplace.
- It is energy efficient. Recognize your utility bills skyrocketing especially during winter and your heater is in its maximum use? How about the hole in your pocket when you have to buy logs for fuel? Well, all these are shoved in the backburner when you choose to purchase an electric fireplace. Other than a beautiful heating decor, it works supplementary to your HVAC so that your utility bills won't increase dramatically. You save money while enjoying a nice, warm temperature.
- It is easy to install. Worrying about installation costs and efforts? No problem. There's no need to punch a hole in your wall and pocket, as these fireplaces can be easily purchased and assembled. The most expensive electric fireplace would be the tailor-made ones, customized to your desire. However, many items in the market are already impressive in their design and features, and you can conveniently take home your new fireplace or have it delivered to your doorstep whenever you want it.
- It is a safer choice. Traditional fireplaces that use gas and logs can cause safety risks, but that is not the case with an electric fireplace. No toxic fumes, no hot piping, no burning logs, no dust to be inhaled--these are just a few of the benefits in switching to electric. Your kids and pets can safely walk in the room without you fearing for their safety. Some automatically switch off, a nice feature for homeowners who forget to turn their appliances off.
- Caris Cruz
- Tags: electric fireplace fireplace ventless
Trendy: The Best Ventless Fireplaces for Your Home
The latest trend in home décor and accessories is ventless fireplaces. That means having an alternative source of heat that does not require the fussy and mechanical venting that traditional wood burning fireplaces come with. So if you don’t burn wood and you don’t need venting, then what do you need? What are your options when it comes to ventless fireplaces?
Electric mantle fireplaces are pieces of furniture. They have the look and feel of a real wood burning unit, equipped with the encasing of a wooden mantelpiece. Have them freestanding throughout your home, all you need is an electrical outlet. Or place one underneath a wall mounted TV. These are great for those of you who prefer the look of a traditional fireplace.
These have the same general concept as the electric mantles, only they are meant to be installed right on the wall as a “floating” design. Again, all you need is an electric plug in and you’re good to go! No venting required; you could install these guys in your bathroom if you wanted.
An electric stove is more of a freestanding unit than a mantle model. It’s meant to be moved around as needed but can serve as an added piece of décor to any room. Often, they have the look and feel of an old fashioned wood stove.
A bio-ethanol burner is a metal box which holds ethanol fuel that can be burned to create real flames an real heat. They can be installed in any sort of cabinet or fireplace surround. They’re great for indoors or outdoors, and are much safer than wood burning sources.
Much like the electric wall fireplaces, ethanol models are meant to be installed right on the wall so they appear to be floating. The require zero venting, and next to nothing for clearance. The real flame that burns simulates the warmth and ambiance that a wood burning fire would.
Ethanol tabletop fireplaces are the perfect solution to super small spaces. You don’t need an empty wall or free space in order to use one. All you need is a flat surface like an end table or shelf. The units are simple and compact, but burn a real flame so you can sit with a good book and enjoy the warmth it provides right from the couch.
- Candace Osmond
- Tags: burners electric fireplace ethanol ethanol fireplace fireplace fireplace mantle ventless